Sunday, February 25, 2018

First Week With Francia -January 15, 2018

Magandang araw sa inyong lahat!
I'm happy to report that this week was a pretty good week. We were able to teach a part-member family compound (the dominant family name is Ibarra) and able to extend seven baptismal dates for February 17, and we are hoping to see them all progress. Sadly, they weren't able to come to church yesterday, but last week they did attend. We will be following up with them this week and see what caused them to not be able to come to church. Other than that, most of the week was spent helping Elder Francia become familiar with the area to prepare for any exchanges we will be having.

Speaking of Elder Francia, him and I are getting along great! At first I had to adjust a little to his teaching style, but now we're going strong. I really enjoy teaching with Elder Francia because his teaching style is so unique, but extremely effective in my opinion. I can clearly feel that he lets the Spirit be his guide and share what the Lord knows we need to share with those whom we are teaching. I've learned a lot already in this first week, and I can't wait to see what else I will be learning.

So.. we had an interesting teaching experience this week which I will mention.  We were teaching a new investigator, and her Mom and Grandma were sitting in on the lesson.  We were explaining the plan of salvation because one of her loved ones had recently passed away.  Eventually, we started discussing Jesus Christ and how He is central to God's plan for us.  We asked her Grandma who Jesus Christ was to her.  What followed was a story I will never forget.

She went on to explain how Jesus Christ appeared to her in a vision, and in this vision, they conversed about many great and marvelous things.  She claimed Christ had called her on an important mission here on earth to heal others.  Christ then proceeded to give this lady two high fives, which endowed her hands with the power to heal.  She then informed us that she makes her living in Manila healing others by touching them with her hands.
It took every ounce of my willpower to not burst out in laughter.  She used the most dramatic hand motions while explaining this experience, and she even stood on her chair towards the end.  Definitely unforgettable :)
I'm doing great, as usual. I've been continuing my study in the Old Testament and I finished 1 Kings this week. I have always loved the story of Elijah, and how he stands as such a sure witness of the fact that there is no other god but the true and living God. I specifically like what Elijah says as he is addressing the people before he challenges the priests of Baal, "How long halt ye between two opinions? If the LORD be God, follow him..." I feel this quote can have an impact on all of us who tend to struggle in keeping those commandments that seem a little hard to keep. We simply just need to make the decision to follow God because He knows more than us, He loves us and only wants to protect us. This can help us when commandments seem a little difficult to follow or we don't understand why we have to do certain things. If we just always remember that the Lord is God, the only God, then we don't have to worry about anything the world can do to or say about us.
Have a great week everyone!
Mahal ko kayong lahat!

No comments:

Post a Comment